Benatar Early Career Professor
H. Milton Stewart School of Industrial and Systems Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology
765 Ferst Drive NW
Atlanta, GA 30332
Office: Groseclose 427
atoriello at isye dot gatech dot edu
I am an associate professor in Industrial Engineering at Georgia Tech. I am generally interested in supply chain management and logistics, particularly in transportation and inventory topics. I am also broadly interested in mathematical optimization, especially discrete and dynamic models.
My CV. (Last updated September 12, 2018.)
Working Papers and Pre-Prints
- S. Perez-Salazar*, I. Menache, M. Singh, A. Toriello. Dynamic Resource Allocation in the Cloud with Near-Optimal Efficiency.
- D. Blado*, A. Toriello. An Exact Algorithm for the Dynamic Knapsack Problem with Stochastic Item Sizes.
- W. Zhang, N.A. Uhan, M. Dessouky, A. Toriello. Acyclic Mechanism Design for Freight Consolidation.
- F. Lagos*, M. Klapp*, A. Toriello. Branch-and-Price for Routing with Probabilistic Customers.
- S. Güven-Koçak*, A. Heching, P. Keskinoçak, A. Toriello. Home Health Care Routing and Scheduling with Consistency in Patient-Aide Assignments.
- A. Torrico*, A. Toriello. Dynamic Relaxations for Online Bipartite Matching.
- W. Hu*, A. Toriello, M. Dessouky. Decomposition-Based Approximation Algorithms for the One-Warehouse Multi-Retailer Problem with Concave Batch Order Costs.
- R. Fukasawa, A. Sapucaia Barboza, A. Toriello. On the Strength of Approximate Linear Programming Relaxations for the Traveling Salesman Problem.
An earlier proof of Theorem 3 appeared in the working paper Equivalence of an Approximate Linear Programming Bound with the Held-Karp Bound for the Traveling Salesman Problem.
Published or Accepted
- D. Blado*, A. Toriello. Relaxation Analysis for the Dynamic Knapsack Problem with Stochastic Item Sizes. SIAM Journal on Optimization. 29:1-30, 2019.
- W. Zhang, N.A. Uhan, M. Dessouky, A. Toriello. Moulin Mechanism Design for Freight Consolidation. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological. 116:141-162, 2018.
- W.B. Haskell, A. Toriello. Modeling Stochastic Dominance as Infinite-Dimensional Constraint Systems via Strassen's Theorem. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications. 178:726-742, 2018.
- M. Klapp*, A.L. Erera, A. Toriello. The Dynamic Dispatch Waves Problem for Same-Day Delivery. European Journal of Operational Research. 271:519-534, 2018.
- W. Hu*, A. Toriello, M. Dessouky. Integrated Inventory Routing and Freight Consolidation for Perishable Goods. European Journal of Operational Research. 271:548-560, 2018.
- A. Torrico*, S. Ahmed, A. Toriello. A Polyhedral Approach to Online Bipartite Matching. Mathematical Programming. 172:443-465, 2018.
Conference version in Proceedings of the 18th Conference on Integer Programming and Combinatorial Optimization, IPCO 2016. Springer, 287-299, 2016.
- D. Reyes*, M. Savelsbergh, A. Toriello. Vehicle Routing with Roaming Delivery Locations. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies. 80:71-91, 2017.
- A. Toriello, N.A. Uhan. Dynamic Linear Programming Games with Risk-Averse Players. Mathematical Programming. 163:25-56, 2017.
- D. Blado*, W. Hu*, A. Toriello. Semi-Infinite Relaxations for the Dynamic Knapsack Problem with Stochastic Item Sizes. SIAM Journal on Optimization. 26:1625-1648, 2016.
- W. Hu*, M.S. Lavieri, A. Toriello, X. Liu. Strategic Health Workforce Planning. IIE Transactions. 48:1127-1138, 2016.
Honorable Mention, INFORMS SPPSN Best Paper Award, 2013.
- J. Woodruff, W.B. Haskell, A. Toriello. Optimized Financial Systems Helps Customers Meet their Personal Finance Goals with Optimization. Interfaces. 46:345-359, 2016.
- G.J. Schell, M.S. Lavieri, F. Jankovic, X. Li, A. Toriello, K.K. Martyn, G.L. Freed. Strategic Modeling of the Neonatal Nurse Practitioner Workforce. Nursing Outlook. 64:385-394, 2016.
- M. Klapp*, A.L. Erera, A.Toriello. The One-Dimensional Dynamic Dispatch Waves Problem. Transportation Science. 52:402-415, 2018.
- L. Rademacher, A. Toriello, J.P. Vielma. On Packing and Covering Polyhedra in Infinite Dimensions. Operations Research Letters. 44:225-230, 2016.
- G.J. Schell, X. Li, M.S. Lavieri, A. Toriello, K.K. Martyn, G.L. Freed. Strategic Modeling of the Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Workforce: How Policy Changes Can Yield Self-Sufficiency. Pediatrics. 135:298-306, 2015.
- A. Toriello, W.B. Haskell, M. Poremba*. A Dynamic Traveling Salesman Problem with Stochastic Arc Costs. Operations Research. 62:1107-1125, 2014.
- C. Nguyen*, M. Dessouky, A. Toriello. Consolidation Strategies for the Delivery of Perishable Products. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review. 69:108-121, 2014.
- A. Toriello. Optimal Toll Design: A Lower Bound Framework for the Asymmetric Traveling Salesman Problem. Mathematical Programming. 144:247-264, 2014.
- A. Toriello, N.A. Uhan. Dynamic Cost Allocation for Economic Lot Sizing Games. Operations Research Letters. 42:82-84, 2014.
- A. Toriello, N.A. Uhan. On Traveling Salesman Games with Asymmetric Costs. Operations Research, 61:1429-1434, 2013. (Technical note.)
- C. Nguyen*, A. Toriello, M. Dessouky, J. Moore. Evaluation of Transportation Practices in the California Cut Flower Industry. Interfaces. 43:182-193, 2013.
- D. Papageorgiou, A. Toriello, G. Nemhauser, M. Savelsbergh. Fixed-Charge Transportation with Product Blending. Transportation Science. 46:281-295, 2012.
- A. Toriello, J.P. Vielma. Fitting a Continuous Piecewise Linear Function. European Journal of Operational Research. 219:86-95, 2012.
- A. Toriello, G. Nemhauser. The Value Function of an Infinite-Horizon Single-Item Lot-Sizing Problem. Operations Research Letters. 40:12-14, 2012.
- A. Toriello, G. Nemhauser, M. Savelsbergh. Decomposing Inventory Routing Problems with Approximate Value Functions. Naval Research Logistics. 57:718-727, 2010.
- F. Kılınç-Karzan, A. Toriello, S. Ahmed, G. Nemhauser, M. Savelsbergh. Approximating the Stability Region for Binary Mixed-Integer Programs. Operations Research Letters. 37:250-254, 2009.
- A. Toriello. Time Decomposition of Multi-Period Supply Chain Models. Ph.D. Thesis. Georgia Institute of Technology, December 2010.
- A. Toriello. A Brief Lecture on Submodular Functions.
* Indicates supervised student co-author.
- Same-Day Delivery: Operational and Tactical Analysis.
Georgia Tech Supply Chain and Logistics IRC Seminar. October, 2018. Video provided by the Georgia Tech Library.
- Time-Indexed Relaxations for Online Bipartite Matching.
International Symposium on Mathematical Programming. July, 2018.
INFORMS Optimization Society Conference. March, 2018.
- Branch-and-Price for Routing with Probabilistic Customers.
Odysseus Workshop. June, 2018.
- The Dynamic Dispatch Waves Problem for Same-Day Delivery.
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Northeastern University. Boston, Massachusetts. April, 2018.
Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, University of Tennessee, Knoxville. October, 2016.
- Polyhedral Approaches to Online Bipartite Matching.
Department of Industrial and Enterprise Systems Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. October, 2017.
ICSP 2016. Búzios, Brazil. June, 2016.
IPCO Conference. Liège, Belgium. June, 2016.
MIP Workshop. Miami, Florida. May, 2016.
- Sharing and Risk Aversion Don't Mix: Dynamic LP Games with Risk-Averse Players.
Information and Decision Sciences Seminar. College of Business Administration, University of Illinois, Chicago. September, 2017.
Decision Sciences Seminar. Fuqua School of Business, Duke University. Durham, North Carolina. September, 2016.
- Associate Editor:
Mathematical Methods of Operations Research.
- Organizing Committee:
ISyE NemFest Workshop. Atlanta, Georgia. May, 2017.
Fifth INFORMS Transportation Science and Logistics Workshop. Atlanta, Georgia. June, 2016. (Chair)
- Faculty Advisor, SHPE Georgia Tech.
- Faculty Guide, Stamps President's Scholars Program. 2018 Cohort.
- Program Committee:
MIP 2019 Workshop. (Chair)
MIP 2018 Workshop. Greenville, South Carolina. June, 2018.
ISCO 2018. Fifth International Symposium on Combinatorial Optimization. Marrakesh, Morocco. April, 2018.
INFORMS TSL Conference. Chicago, Illinois. July, 2017.
LAGOS 2013. VII Latin American Algorithms, Graphs and Optimization Symposium. Playa del Carmen, Mexico. April, 2013.