H. Milton Stewart School of Industrial and Systems Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology
765 Ferst Drive NW
Atlanta, GA 30332
Office: Groseclose 427
atoriello at isye dot gatech dot edu
I am an assistant professor in Industrial Engineering at Georgia Tech. I am interested in the theory and applications of supply chain and logistics models primarily involving transportation and inventory decisions, and in related optimization topics. The methodologies I use to study these problems include linear, mixed-integer and dynamic programming.
My CV. (Last updated July 1, 2016.)
Submitted or Under Review
- W. Zhang, N.A. Uhan, M. Dessouky, A. Toriello. Cost-Sharing Mechanism Design for Freight Consolidation among Small Suppliers. Submitted 2016.
- A. Torrico*, S. Ahmed, A. Toriello. A Polyhedral Approach to Online Bipartite Matching. Submitted 2016.
Conference version in IPCO 2016.
- D. Reyes*, M. Savelsbergh, A. Toriello. Vehicle Routing with Roaming Delivery Locations. Submitted 2015.
- R. Fukasawa, A. Sapucaia Barboza, A. Toriello. A Comparison of Bounds for the Traveling Salesman Problem. Working paper, 2015.
An earlier proof of Theorem 3 appeared in the working paper Equivalence of an Approximate Linear Programming Bound with the Held-Karp Bound for the Traveling Salesman Problem.
Published or Accepted
- A. Toriello, N.A. Uhan. Dynamic Linear Programming Games with Risk-Averse Players. To appear in Mathematical Programming, 2016.
- D. Blado*, W. Hu*, A. Toriello. Semi-Infinite Relaxations for the Dynamic Knapsack Problem with Stochastic Item Sizes. To appear in SIAM Journal on Optimization, 2016.
- W. Hu*, M.S. Lavieri, A. Toriello, X. Liu. Strategic Health Workforce Planning. To appear in IIE Transactions, 2016.
Honorable Mention, INFORMS SPPSN Best Paper Award, 2013.
- J. Woodruff, W.B. Haskell, A. Toriello. Optimized Financial Systems Helps Customers Meet their Personal Finance Goals with Optimization. To appear in Interfaces, 2016.
- A. Torrico*, S. Ahmed, A. Toriello. A Polyhedral Approach to Online Bipartite Matching. Proceedings of the 18th Conference on Integer Programming and Combinatorial Optimization, IPCO 2016. Springer, 287-299, 2016.
- G.J. Schell, M.S. Lavieri, F. Jankovic, X. Li, A. Toriello, K.K. Martyn, G.L. Freed. Strategic Modeling of the Neonatal Nurse Practitioner Workforce. To appear in Nursing Outlook, 2016.
- M. Klapp*, A.L. Erera, A.Toriello. The One-Dimensional Dynamic Dispatch Waves Problem. To appear in Transportation Science, 2015.
- L. Rademacher, A. Toriello, J.P. Vielma. On Packing and Covering Polyhedra in Infinite Dimensions. Operations Research Letters. 44:225-230, 2016.
- G.J. Schell, X. Li, M.S. Lavieri, A. Toriello, K.K. Martyn, G.L. Freed. Strategic Modeling of the Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Workforce: How Policy Changes Can Yield Self-Sufficiency. Pediatrics. 135:298-306, 2015.
- A. Toriello, W.B. Haskell, M. Poremba*. A Dynamic Traveling Salesman Problem with Stochastic Arc Costs. Operations Research. 62:1107-1125, 2014.
- C. Nguyen*, M. Dessouky, A. Toriello. Consolidation Strategies for the Delivery of Perishable Products. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review. 69:108-121, 2014.
- A. Toriello. Optimal Toll Design: A Lower Bound Framework for the Asymmetric Traveling Salesman Problem. Mathematical Programming. 144:247-264, 2014.
- A. Toriello, N.A. Uhan. Dynamic Cost Allocation for Economic Lot Sizing Games. Operations Research Letters. 42:82-84, 2014.
- A. Toriello, N.A. Uhan. On Traveling Salesman Games with Asymmetric Costs. Operations Research, 61:1429-1434, 2013. (Technical note.)
- C. Nguyen*, A. Toriello, M. Dessouky, J. Moore. Evaluation of Transportation Practices in the California Cut Flower Industry. Interfaces. 43:182-193, 2013.
- D. Papageorgiou, A. Toriello, G. Nemhauser, M. Savelsbergh. Fixed-Charge Transportation with Product Blending. Transportation Science. 46:281-295, 2012.
- A. Toriello, J.P. Vielma. Fitting a Continuous Piecewise Linear Function. European Journal of Operational Research. 219:86-95, 2012.
- A. Toriello, G. Nemhauser. The Value Function of an Infinite-Horizon Single-Item Lot-Sizing Problem. Operations Research Letters. 40:12-14, 2012.
- A. Toriello, G. Nemhauser, M. Savelsbergh. Decomposing Inventory Routing Problems with Approximate Value Functions. Naval Research Logistics. 57:718-727, 2010.
- F. Kılınç-Karzan, A. Toriello, S. Ahmed, G. Nemhauser, M. Savelsbergh. Approximating the Stability Region for Binary Mixed-Integer Programs. Operations Research Letters. 37:250-254, 2009.
- A. Toriello. Time Decomposition of Multi-Period Supply Chain Models. Ph.D. Thesis. Georgia Institute of Technology, December 2010.
- A. Toriello. A Brief Lecture on Submodular Functions.
* Indicates supervised student co-author.
- A Polyhedral Approach to Online Bipartite Matching.
ICSP 2016. Búzios, Brazil. June, 2016.
IPCO Conference. Liège, Belgium. June, 2016.
MIP Workshop. Miami, Florida. May, 2016.
- Semi-Infinite Relaxations for a Dynamic Knapsack Problem.
Simchi-Levi Research Group, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Cambridge, Massachusetts. April, 2016.
INFORMS Optimization Society Conference. Princeton, New Jersey. March, 2016.
Casa Matemática Oaxaca - Banff International Research Station Workshop on Modern Techniques in Discrete Optimization. Oaxaca, Mexico. November, 2015. Video.
International Symposium on Mathematical Programming. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. July, 2015.
INFORMS Computing Society Conference. Richmond, Virginia. January, 2015.
INFORMS Annual Meeting. San Francisco, California. November 2014.
- The One-Dimensional Dynamic Dispatch Waves Problem.
Odysseus Workshop. Corsica, France. June, 2015.
ISE Seminar Series. Epstein Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, University of Southern California. Los Angeles, California. March 2015.
International Conference on Logistics and Maritime Systems (LOGMS). Rotterdam, the Netherlands. August, 2014.
- Newsvendor Games with Risk-Averse Players.
POMS Conference. Washington, DC. May, 2015.
- Dynamic Linear Production Games under Uncertainty.
Operations/Management Science Workshop. Booth School of Business, University of Chicago. Chicago, Illinois. December, 2013.
- Cooperative Traveling Salesman Games with Asymmetric Costs.
Department of Industrial and Operations Engineering, University of Michigan. Ann Arbor, Michigan. November, 2013.
DOS Seminar Series. Stewart School of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Georgia Tech. Atlanta, Georgia. September, 2013.
- Equivalence of Two TSP Bounds.
INFORMS Annual Meeting. Minneapolis, Minnesota. October, 2013.
- Dynamic Programming Approximations for Traveling Salesman Problems.
Tutte Seminar Series. Department of Combinatorics and Optimization, University of Waterloo. Waterloo, Ontario. May, 2013.
- Associate Editor, Mathematical Methods of Operations Research, Optimization Methods and Software, Transportation Science.
- Chair, Organizing Committee, INFORMS TSL Workshop 2016.
Fifth INFORMS Transportation Science and Logistics Workshop. Atlanta, Georgia. June, 2016.
- Faculty Advisor, SHPE Georgia Tech.
- Program Committee, LAGOS 2013.
VII Latin American Algorithms, Graphs and Optimization Symposium. Playa del Carmen, Mexico. April, 2013.
INFORMS TSL Conference. Chicago, Illinois. July, 2017.
ISyE 3103 - Supply Chain Modeling: Logistics
ISyE 3133 - Engineering Optimization
ISyE 4301 - Supply Chain Economics
ISyE 7203 - Logistics Systems Engineering
- Fall 2013, Fall 2014, Fall 2015
ISE 330 - Introduction to Operations Research: Deterministic Models (USC)
ISE 532 - Network Flows (USC)
- Fall 2011, Spring 2012, Spring 2013
Shabbir Ahmed, Christiane Barz, Maged Dessouky, Alan Erera, Ricardo Fukasawa, Will Haskell, Fatma Kılınç-Karzan, Mariel Lavieri, Jim Moore, George Nemhauser, Christine Nguyen, Dimitri Papageorgiou, Luis Rademacher, Martin Savelsbergh, Nelson Uhan, Juan Pablo Vielma, Joshua Woodruff.